Paleo Dark Chocolate Orange Fudge – perfect for Valentine’s Day!
Today, please welcome Erin from Pure & Simple Nourishment to the blog!
Hi Life Made Full readers! I am so thrilled to be guest posting for Shanti while she is busy working on her life coaching certification. My name is Dr. Erin Carter and I run the blog Pure and Simple Nourishment. My blog is a place where I share paleo recipes as well as other health and lifestyle information.
I started eating a grain free, whole foods diet five years ago after struggling for years with diarrhea prone irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). I had tried many different treatments, both from Western and alternative medicine practices, with very little success. Through my own research and a lot of trial and error, I have learned how to treat my condition through diet. My goal is to share the power of good, wholesome nutrition with others who may be struggling with the same, or other health issues. I am also a rheumatology resident and one day hope to integrate certain forms of alternative medicine into my practice, but I need to get through residency first! I firmly believe that nutrition should play a central role in the treatment of any chronic condition, especially autoimmune diseases. Unfortunately, nutrition is an area that western medicine, in general, tends to ignore. We also receive very little education in nutrition in medical school so most physicians are actually very uncomfortable discussing dietary strategies with patients. I am slowly trying to spread the word within the medical community that nutrition should play a central role in both preventing, and treating various diseases. Because food really is a form of medicine! I would be thrilled if you stopped by my blog. You can also find me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest.
Today I am sharing a dessert recipe with you that I absolutely love: Dark Chocolate Orange Fudge. This one is compatible with the paleo, GAPS and vegan diets. Have any of you ever had a Terry’s Dark Chocolate Orange? Does anyone know what I am talking about? Those used to be my favorite chocolates before I changed my eating habits. Well, if you like those chocolates, or any orange chocolate for that matter, then you will love this fudge. The taste is very similar to a Terry’s Chocolate Orange, and anyone who has tried this fudge agrees. The combination of orange and chocolate just somehow works. The best part? This recipe is made with real ingredients and is free from artificial sweeteners. Plus it is pretty easy to make! I really hope you like it!
Paleo Dark Chocolate Orange Fudge Recipe
2 cups raw cashews (preferably soaked and dehydrated first)
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/3 cup honey (or use maple syrup for vegan)
zest from 1 navel orange (1 packed TBSP)
juice from 1 navel orange (1/4 cup)
pinch of sea salt
1. In your food processor combine the cashews and coconut butter and process until smooth
2. Place a medium saucepan/pot on low heat on the stove
3. Add the coconut oil, honey and vanilla extract to pot and let melt
4. Once melted, add the orange zest and orange juice as well as ingredients from your food processor
5. Stir well to combine the ingredients
6. Add the cacao powder and sea salt and stir well until combined. Remove the saucepan from the heat
7. Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper (or use a silicone pan if you have one) and pour the ingredients into the pan
8. Spread well and press down with a spoon or knife to form an even layer
9. Place the pan in the freezer for about 60 minutes
10. Cut fudge into pieces of desired size and enjoy!
NOTE: Store the fudge in the fridge or freezer