I asked on my Facebook page the other day what things people miss eating that they would like a “cleaner” version of. One of the first responses was Hostess Cupcakes. Here’s the ingredient list from standard Hostess Cupcakes:
Sugar, Water, Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour [Flour, Reduced Iron, B Vitamins (Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Folic Acid)], Vegetable and/orAnimal Shortening [Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Soybean, Cottonseed and/or Canola), Beef Fat, Palm Oil], Corn Syrup, Egg Whites, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Whole Eggs. Contains 2% or Less of: Modified Corn Starch, Soybean Oil, Cocoa, Cocoa Processed with Alkali, Soy Lecithin, Salt, Chocolate Liquor, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Sulfate, Locust Bean Gum, Dextrose, Sodium Phosphate, Leavenings (Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Baking Soda, Monocalcium Phosphate),Corn Flour, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Nonfat Milk, Sweet Dairy Whey, Soy Protein Isolate, Soy Flour, Calcium and Sodium Caseinate, Sodium Stearate, Cornstarch,Glucose, Guar Gum, Cellulose Gum, Mono and Diglycerides, Polysorbate 60, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Agar, Gelatin, Fumaric Acid, Natural and Artificial Flavors (Contain: Caramel Color, Butter), Sorbic Acid and Potassium Sorbate (to Retain Freshness), FD&C Yellow 5 and 6, Red 40.
Yikes! With GMO ingredients, food dyes (why?!?!) and a bunch of words I can’t even pronounce, a project was in order.
So, I went to work in the kitchen.
Friends, you won’t be disappointed in these Grain Free Hostess Cupcake Copycats!
- For the cupcakes:
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup coconut oil, melted + a tablespoon or so for greasing pan
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup honey or pure maple syrup
- For the filling:
- 1 can refrigerated coconut cream (NOT coconut milk)
- 2 tsp tapioca flour or arrowroot starch
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 TBSP pure maple syrup or honey
- For the ganache:
- 1 cup Enjoy Life chocolate chips
- ½ cup full-fat, unsweetened coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and line muffin tin with liners.
- Combine dry ingredients in medium bowl and set aside.
- Whisk eggs, melted coconut oil, vanilla and honey or syrup together and pour into dry ingredients.
- Stir until combined and pour into muffin liners.
- Bake for about 18-20 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Make the filling:
- Beat together the filling ingredients until well combined.
- Fill a pastry bag with the filling.
- Put into top of the cupcake and squeeze some filling into the cupcake. (See pics on how to do this HERE)
- If you don't have a piping bag, use a knife to cut a cone shape out of the center of the cupcake, then cut the bottom part of the cone off. Then place the top part of the cone, the lid, on top of the filling.
- Make the ganache:
- In a double boiler, melt together the chocolate chips and coconut milk. Let cool for about 10-15 minutes.
- Top each cupcake with the ganache, and pipe more of the filling on the top for decoration, if desired.
- Place in fridge to cool and allow ganache to harden a bit.
- For best results, store in fridge.