This time of year is always a favorite…strawberry stands open on the side of the road, fresh ripe berries readily available at the farmer’s market, and warm, sunny weather. Tomorrow is Mother’s Day, and I wanted to come up with a recipe that would please everyone. Just looking at it makes me happy!
Strawberries + whipped cream. Who can’t love that? Throw in some amazing yellow cake, and you end up with this amazing Grain Free Berry Trifle recipe!
It’s incredibly simple to make, and even the harshest critics will love it!
- For Cake:
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/3 cup butter or coconut oil melted
- 4 eggs
- 2-4 TBSP honey depending on how sweet you want the shortcake
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp gluten-free cornstarch-free baking powder
- dash of salt
- Regular whipped cream option:
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup or honey
- Dairy-free whipped cream option:
- 4 14 oz cans coconut cream refrigerated (I get mine at Trader Joe's),
- 4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup honey or pure maple syrup if desired
- Berries: whatever berries you like! I used about 2 baskets of strawberries and a small basket of blueberries. =)
- Grease two 8-inch round cake pans with coconut oil or butter and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter (or coconut oil), honey, eggs and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients and beat until well-combined and no lumps remain.
- Divide in half and spread into cake pans (It will be relatively thin, but it will puff up a bit!).
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Tear into pieces for the trifle once cooled.
- Meanwhile, for dairy free option: take coconut cream out of fridge and beat the solid milk until peaks begin to form, then add vanilla and honey and beat for a few more minutes.
- For regular whipped cream, using the ingredients from above, beat on high until stiff peaks form.
- Layer whipped cream, then cake, then berries and repeat until all ingredients are used.
- Refrigerate until ready to eat, best within a few hours. =)
Like what you read? Sign up here and get my Top 10 Recipes ebook for free!
[…] Grain Free Berry Trifle from Life Made Full […]
[…] 24. Grain Free Berry Trifle […]